Skip to main content

April Blogpost

 Total Hours for Semester: 12

Total Hours for April: 5.5hrs

After much of the stress surrounding the NBME concluded the first of April I decided to continue my work with the Crisis Textline. This month I a majority of my time was spent talking to texters was spent around coping with depression and anxiety around reentering society as many municipalities significantly lower their COVID-19 restrictions nationwide. 

I feel like overall I ended my semester on a nice note, I scored one of my highest grades so far on my last Cellular Control Exam and although I second guessed myself and should have gotten a few more points by sticking to my instincts I am still pleased with my performance. It is in this moment that I can truly look back and see how I have grown over the course of this program.  Not only have I successfully completed this program while experiencing the many stressors that comes with school during a pandemic, I also struggled with increasing anxiety and depression along with moving to a new area and having essentially no social support.  Although during a normal year and with a healthy mental state I could have performed better I am still exceedingly proud of myself because I grew exponentially. As I move forward and leave this program I plan on taking the study skills that I have learned and the coping mechanisms I have found related to mental health and use these experiences to succeed in my future endeavors, which will hopefully include medical school in the near future. This program and its curriculum has truly helped mold me into a better student and member of the New Orleans community. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September - Volunteering with the Crisis Textline

        Since beginning the Pharmacology program I have not had the ability to continue volunteering with the Crisis Textline due to the time constraints that come with being in a part of such a fast-paced program. Although the pandemic has prevented us from being able to partake in the volunteer component of this program in the traditional way where we are directly impacting the New Orleans community, it has given me the opportunity to pursue one of my favorite volunteer activities again.  The Crisis Textline is an organization a free service for those who feel like they are in a state of crisis.  This state of crisis is whatever the texter defines it as.  Common states of crisis that people are text about involve bullying, self-harm, suicidal thoughts, depression, and anxiety.  As a volunteer, I work with these texters to help create a safety plan and plan on how to cope with their current situations in life.  If applicable I am also a...

January- Volunteering with Crisis Textline

 Volunteers Hours Completed in January 2021: 2.5hrs      During this month I continued my previous work with the Crisis Textline and the texters that I interacted with this month tended to have a similar theme of self-harm. I try to go into these conversations without making any assumptions or judgements towards the texters and their situations.  This month I had to take the time to learn about a particular coping mechanism that a texter was using, which I was less familiar with and they had experienced judgement about from those close to them. In this moment it was not my job to critique or give my opinion to the texter regarding their chosen coping mechanism, which from what I was told was not doing any physical harm to them. Instead, I had to maintain focus on what it was the texter was seeking out help with and to then provide them with the support and resources needed so that they felt like they could move forward in their situation. It is important in mome...